For treatment-naïve adults with HIV-1. See Full Indication.
RISKS AND SIDE EFFECTS OF DOVATO
The below information is intended to give healthcare professionals an overview of the potential risks and side effects of DOVATO, including warnings and precautions, drug-related adverse events, and discontinuation rates due to adverse events.
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Hypersensitivity reactions have been reported with dolutegravir and were characterized by rash, constitutional findings, and sometimes organ dysfunction, including liver injury
- Discontinue DOVATO immediately if signs or symptoms of severe skin or hypersensitivity reactions develop, as a delay in stopping treatment may result in a life-threatening reaction. Clinical status, including liver aminotransferases, should be monitored and appropriate therapy initiated
- Hepatic adverse events have been reported, including cases of hepatic toxicity (elevated serum liver biochemistries, hepatitis, and acute liver failure), in patients receiving a dolutegravir-containing regimen without pre-existing hepatic disease or other identifiable risk factors
- Patients with underlying hepatitis B or C or marked elevations in transaminases prior to treatment may be at increased risk for worsening or development of transaminase elevations with use of DOVATO. In some cases, the elevations in transaminases were consistent with immune reconstitution syndrome or hepatitis B reactivation, particularly in the setting where anti-hepatitis therapy was withdrawn
- Monitoring for hepatotoxicity is recommended
Embryo Fetal Toxicity:
- Avoid use of DOVATO at the time of conception through the first trimester due to the risk of neural tube defects
- Perform pregnancy testing before use of DOVATO and advise that consistent use of effective contraception is recommended while using DOVATO in individuals of childbearing potential
Lactic Acidosis and Severe Hepatomegaly with Steatosis:
Fatal cases have been reported with the use of nucleoside analogs, including lamivudine. Discontinue DOVATO if clinical or laboratory findings suggestive of lactic acidosis or pronounced hepatotoxicity develop, including hepatomegaly and steatosis in the absence of marked transaminase elevations.
Adverse Reactions or Loss of Virologic Response due to interactions with concomitant use of DOVATO and other drugs may occur (see Contraindications and Drug Interactions).
Immune Reconstitution Syndrome, including the occurrence of autoimmune disorders with variable time to onset, has been reported with the use of DOVATO.
Drug-Related Adverse Events and Discontinuation Rates Through 96 Weeks
Significantly Lower Rate of Drug-Related Adverse Events vs DTG + TDF/FTC at 96 Weeks*
GEMINI 1 & 2—Pooled Analysis, % (n)1,2
|Patients reporting drug-related adverse events||DOVATO (n=716)||DTG + TDF/FTC (n=717)|
|All grades||20% (140)||25% (179)|
|Grades 2 to 5||7% (50)||8% (57)|
|Patients reporting drug-related adverse events (all grades) with ≥2% frequency†|
|Headache||3% (21)||4% (30)|
|Nausea||2% (14)||5% (39)|
|Diarrhea||2% (15)||3% (19)|
|Insomnia||2% (15)||3% (19)|
|Fatigue‡||2% (12)||2% (13)|
|Dizziness||1% (8)||2% (13)|
|Anxiety||2% (11)||<1% (5)|
*The clinical significance is unknown.
- Rates of discontinuation due to adverse events through 96 weeks: 3% in each arm
- Most common adverse events leading to discontinuation were psychiatric disorders (1% of patients in both treatment arms through 96 weeks)
†Based on patients reporting drug-related adverse events (all grades): DOVATO arm (20%); DTG + TDF/FTC arm (25%).
‡Includes fatigue, asthenia, and malaise.
DTG=dolutegravir; TDF=tenofovir disoproxil fumarate; FTC=emtricitabine.
Pooled Analysis Through 96 Weeks From GEMINI 1 & 2
Patients who discontinued due to AEs1
DTG + TDF/FTC
- Most common AEs leading to discontinuation were psychiatric disorders (1% of patients in both treatment arms)
AEs=adverse events; DTG=dolutegravir; FTC=emtricitabine; TDF=tenofovir disoproxil fumarate.
- Cahn P, Madero JS, Arribas JR, et al. Durable Efficacy of Dolutegravir (DTG) Plus Lamivudine (3TC) in Antiretroviral Treatment–Naive Adults With HIV-1 Infection: 96-Week Results From the GEMINI Studies. Presented at the 10th International AIDS Society (IAS) Conference on HIV Science; July 21-24, 2019; Mexico City, Mexico. Slides WEAB0404LB.
- Data on file. ViiV Healthcare group of companies. Research Triangle Park, NC.