DOSING AND DRUG
INTERACTIONS OF DOVATO
DOSING AND DRUG INTERACTIONS OF DOVATO
Dosing Of DOVATO
A Complete Regimen Offering Convenient Dosing for Your Adult Patients
ONCE A DAY
TAKEN ANY TIME OF DAY
WITH OR WITHOUT FOOD
Potential Drug Interactions With DOVATO
Established and Other Potentially Significant Drug to Drug Interactions
St John's wort (Hypericum perforatum)
|Avoid coadministration with DOVATO because there are insufficient data to make dosing recommendations|
|Sorbitol||When possible, avoid use of sorbitol-containing medicines with DOVATO|
- Because DOVATO is a complete regimen, coadministration with other ARVs for the treatment of HIV-1 infection is not recommended
|Dosing Adjustments and Considerations|
|Certain UGT1A/CYP3A inducers: carbamazepine or rifampin||An additional dolutegravir 50-mg dose should be taken, separated by 12 hours from DOVATO
||Refer to the prescribing information for metformin for assessing the benefit and risk of concomitant use of DOVATO and metformin
|Medications containing polyvalent cations (eg, Mg or Al): cation-containing antacids or laxatives, sucralfate, or buffered medications||Administer DOVATO 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking medications containing polyvalent cations|
|Oral calcium or iron supplements, including multivitamins containing calcium or iron
||When taken with food, DOVATO and supplements or multivitamins containing calcium or iron can be taken at the same time. Under fasting conditions, DOVATO should be taken 2 hours before or 6 hours after taking supplements containing calcium or iron
||Elevated levels of dalfampridine increase the risk of seizures. The potential benefits of taking dalfampridine concurrently with DOVATO should be considered against the risk of seizures in these patients
- Please see Section 7 of the full Prescribing Information for additional drug interaction information
Dolutegravir and Lamivudine, Components of DOVATO, Have No Clinically Relevant Effects on the Pharmacokinetics of the Following Agents
|Based on available pharmacokinetics drug interaction studies
|Based on pharmacokinetics, metabolic pathways, and/or available drug interaction studies
Hepatitis C drugs, including1,2:
Norelgestromin is the active metabolite of norgestimate and no drug interaction is expected with norgestimate.9
- AIDSinfo website. https://clinicalinfo.hiv.gov/sites/default/files/guidelines/documents/AdultandAdolescentGL.pdf. Accessed July 16, 2020.
- American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases and Infectious Diseases Society of America. HCV Guidance: Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C. https://www.hcvguidelines.org/unique-populations/hiv-hcv. Updated May 24, 2018. Accessed July 16, 2020.
- Harvoni [package insert]. Foster City, CA: Gilead Sciences, Inc.; 2017.
- Olysio [package insert]. Titusville, NJ: Janssen Therapeutics; 2017.
- Zepatier [package insert]. Whitehouse Station, NJ: Merck & Co, Inc.; 2018.
- Viekira Pak [package insert]. North Chicago, IL: AbbVie, Inc.; 2018.
- Vosevi [package insert]. Foster City, CA: Gilead Sciences, Inc.; 2017.
- Mavyret [package insert]. North Chicago, IL: AbbVie, Inc.; 2018.
- Song IH, Borland J, Chen S, Wajima T, Peppercorn AF, Piscitelli SC. Dolutegravir has no effect on the pharmacokinetics of oral contraceptives with norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol. Ann Pharmacother. 2015;49(7):784–789.